The orangutan is Asia's only great ape and is only found on the islands of Borneo and Sumatra as three co-generic species, Pongo pygmaeus, Pongo abelii, and Pongo tapanuliensis.
The orangutan is Asia’s only great ape and is only found on the islands of Borneo and Sumatra as three co-generic species, Pongo pygmaeus, Pongo abelii, and Pongo tapanuliensis.
The majority of orangutans (90%) are situated in Indonesia (Indonesian Borneo-Kalimantan and Sumatra), while the remaining 10% can be found in Sabah and Sarawak in Malaysia.
As one of our closest living relatives orangutans are highly intelligent, sentient beings. They are an iconic species of Indonesia and an important umbrella species. By protecting orangutans in their natural habitat, a whole plethora of other flora and fauna are also protected. Protecting their forest habitat is as important to humans as much as it is to wildlife.
Today, Bornean, Sumatran and Tapanuli orangutans are threatened by extinction due to habitat loss and hunting. It is estimated that the Bornean orangutan population has decreased by more than 80% within the last three generations.
The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) classifies all three species of orangutan as Critically Endangered on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. All three species are also listed in Appendix I of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).
Orangutans are legally protected by national and international law, however laws and regulations alone are clearly insufficient to actively protect this charismatic species. Orangutan conservation requires comprehensive and integrated efforts by all stakeholders, both in the field and in the political arena, to ensure its success.
In 2007, the first National Strategy and Action Plan for Orangutan Conservation 2007 – 2017 was signed by the Ministry of Forestry and announced by the Indonesian President at the Bali Climate Change Conference, December 2007. This plan is due to be reviewed and updated in the near future.
All orangutan conservation in Indonesia – including activities that we do at BOS Foundation – are based on this Action Plan.
|Bornean Orangutan||Pongo pygmaeus||57,350||Critically Endangered|
|Sumatran Orangutan||Pongo abelii||14,470||Critically Endangered|
|Tapanuli Orangutan||Pongo tapanuliensis||< 800||Critically Endangered|
The orangutan is the only member of the great ape family found in Asia. All other members of the great ape family are located in Africa; chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes), gorilla (Gorilla gorilla and Gorilla beringei), and bonobo (Pan paniscus).
There are three species of orangutan, the Bornean orangutan (Pongo pygmaeus) distributed across the island of Borneo in Indonesia (Kalimantan) and Malaysia (Sabah and Sarawak, the Sumatran orangutan (Pongo abelii) situated on the Indonesian island of Sumatra and the Tapanuli orangutan (Pongo tapanuliensis).
The three species have been geographically separated for hundreds of thousands of years due to sea level rises and volcanic eruptions. Based on scientific research investigating genetics, morphology, ecology, behaviour and life history, Sumatran, Tapanuli, and Bornean orangutans demonstrate significant differences (Delgado & van Schaik, 2000; Groves, 2001; Zhang et al., 2001; Nater et al., 2017).
The Bornean orangutan (Pongo pygmaeus) has a larger body size, and has dark or reddish brown short hair
The Sumatran orangutan (Pongo abelii) has a smaller body size, with brighter orange hair
Tapanuli orangutans (Pongo tapanuliensis) resemble Sumatran orangutans more than Bornean orangutans in body build and fur color. However, they have frizzier hair, smaller heads, and flatter faces
In all three species, male orangutans are much larger than the females, typically two to three times heavier. Male orangutans develop large cheek pads (flanges) which develop post-sexual maturity. Both male and female Tapanuli orangutans have beards, while only male Bornean orangutans have beards.
We work to save the orangutan by rescuing and rehabilitating them, with an ultimate goal of releasing them back to the forest where they will be safe from human development, poaching and farming.
Can't find what you're looking for? Search by keyword, below;
asia, great ape, borneo, sumatra, pongo pygmaeus, pongo abelii, pongo tapanuliensis, indonesia, indonesian, borneo-kalimantan, saba, sarawak, malaysia, intelligent, sentient beings, wildlife, the international union for conservation of nature, iucn, critically endangered, iucn red list, threatened species, convention on international trade in endangered species, wild fauna and flora, cites, National Strategy and Action Plan for Orangutan Conservation, indonesian president, bali climate change conference, orangutan conservation, bornean orangutan, sumatran orangutan, tapanuli orangutan, orange hair, beards, flanges, BOS, borneo,bornean, orangutans, orangutan, survival, charity